Model Details
Technically optimized and equipped with new sound
Freestanding steps and handrails
Extra sand pipes
Finely engraved fan grilles
Finely detailed chassis
Extra sandboxes
Spring buffers
Multi-part lanterns
Fine printing and paintwork
True-to-life roof lines and insulators
Information about the prototype
In 1912, the Royal Bavarian State Railways began electrifying their first lines. Among the first 17 electric locomotives were two that differed completely from the then-current standard and were already extremely innovative at the time. While electric locomotives usually had the rod drive familiar from steam locomotives, these two machines already had individual axle drive, as is standard for all modern electric locomotives today. Individual axle drive means that each driving axle has its own electric motor. The two locomotives were ordered in 1912 and delivered in 1914 and 1915 by Krauss (vehicle components) and Bergmann's Electrical Works (electrical components). They were stationed in Freilassing and used on the steep Freilassing-Berchtesgaden line. Originally designated EG 4 X 1/1, following Bavarian custom, the two locomotives had a total weight of 56 tons and a maximum tractive effort of 9,300 kg. Their top speed was set at 50 km/h. They proved themselves exceptionally well, but neither a replica nor further development of this drive concept was pursued initially; it wasn't until 20 years later that individual axle drive became widespread. Clearly, the locomotives were too far ahead of their time. The two Bavarian EG 4X1/1 locomotives were still in existence after the First World War and were taken over by the German Reichsbahn, Bavarian Group Administration. From 1923, the complicated designation was replaced by the simpler EG 1, and from 1926 onwards, the DRG (German State Railway) assigned them the E 73 class. The two locomotives were always based in Freilassing, and in addition to their main line, they were also used for shunting in Salzburg. Apparently, the DRG was very satisfied with them, as they were not retired from service until 1937 and 1941. One of the two locomotives was converted into a snowplow, which then continued to provide faithful service for many years.